Wednesday 3 January 2018

Can't Have Your Cake and Eat It



The Last Cake before the New Year Diet
(black marker in 14x14 cm sketchbook, digital colour)

Happy New Year to one and all! 

In Another Place, I took a little time to count up the paintings and sketchbook drawings I did in 2017. For various reasons, the grand total came to around 30, not a particularly impressive number but I expect next year's to be better.

And then I thought:

"Maybe I should do the same thing for my cartoons." 

Hmm. Can it really be that I did none in the whole of 2017? I know I reworked one or two and added some digital colour to some others but it does seem as if my Cartoonist's Hat fell down the back of the sofa at some time.

At the top of this post is yesterday's sketchbook drawing of a cake. I've posted it here because I think it could also come under the heading of "Illustration" and one of the things it illustrates is the way I think the strands of my work are gradually drawing together.

So: does it make any sense to continue running two separate blogs? My inclination is to close this one down and simply post everything on Boogie Street. Cartoons and paintings are just as much a part of what goes to make me as were last year's daily entries from My Dad's Diary.

Comments welcome.

No comments: